The Jozef Pilsudski Regional and Municipal Public Library in Lodz is a general public library for the Lodz Region and takes scientific and substantial care (instruction and supervising ) over all public libraries in Lodz Region. The Library was opened on October 11, 1917 due to suggestion of the Library Friends Society and thanks to support given by the town authorities.
The Library's collection amounts jointly to over 755.000 units, gathered with a view to satisfy the cultural and educational needs of the town's inhabitants.
The Library fulfils its tasks by participating in the creation of the workshop of scientific and educational work for research workers and students of higher schools, colleges and secondary schools in Lodz.
The Pilsudski Library:
- provides professional acquisition, cataloging and preserving of both old and modern books especially from the area of social sciences and the humanities, selected foreign publications, both Polish and foreign periodicals, old prints, manuscripts, drawings, maps and plans, documents of social life, recorded music and music scores, electronic documents and other library materials;
- acquires the materials for the Current Regional Bibliography published by the Pilsudski Library as the annual publications
- provides bibliographic, research and publishing works
- co-operates with libraries and reference centers both from Poland and abroad in fields of interchange of books, and consultations about library operations
- takes care (instruction and supervising) over all public libraries, hospital libraries and other institutions' libraries in Lodz Region
- provides professional training and prepares the methodical materials for other public libraries in Lodz Region
- gives professional advice in fields of library operations, implementation and utilization of library IT systems
- prepares exhibitions connected with historical and literary anniversaries, events in Poland and all over the world
- organizes various meetings for public: interviews with poets, writers, scientists, VIPs etc.,
- conducts the Debating Film Club,
- each year the Library awards its own prize "The Golden Exlibris" to the authors of the best books connected with Lodz and Lodz Region,
- co-operates with The Helena Kretz Third Age University
- conducts the Library College, professional improvement courses for librarians, and the summer holidays practice for students.